Home > Install WP, Just the Video Tutorials > How to Create Multiple WordPress Blogs Using a Single Database

How to Create Multiple WordPress Blogs Using a Single Database

January 1st, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments
Get Noticed with a $7.99 .CO!
  1. November 3rd, 2009 at 07:39 | #1

@Beth Terry
    If you want to share themes then give wordpressmu a try. You could share headers, but it would take a bit of code hacking.

2. November 13th, 2009 at 15:05 | #2

Amazing blog Nice work!

3. fretbuzz
    November 16th, 2009 at 13:33 | #3

I have used your guide before and it has worked wonderfully, however, this time I am having problems. First, when I open the new blog page for the first time, it gives me a “too many redirects” error. I fixed that by using a complete URL to the wp-blog-header file.

That moved me forward to the add title, email and click “install wordpress” button page. The problem here is that everytime I choose the “Install WordPress” button, it loops back to the same exact page.

Anyone have this problem or have ideas on how to fix it?

4. November 16th, 2009 at 13:58 | #4

@fretbuzz: Sounds like you are trying to use the same source code…you must duplicate your source code as well so each install will have a unique web address.

5. November 18th, 2009 at 12:48 | #5

Hi!
    I followed your video instructions to help a friend with her site. There didn’t seem to be folders under public_html that had the existing blog, so I copied everything from public_html into a different folder which i then moved into public_html. I changed the wp_config file in the new folder to put in the new prefix. Everything is cool except that the new blog is the generic out-of-the box version, not a clone of the existing one. I didn’t delete many of the possibly irrelevant folders (cgi_bin, etc.) And, FWIW, she’s using the Thesis plugin.
    Do you think we can avoid re-customizing the new blog by copying something else?

Thanks for a great video – this is exactly what we wanted to do.
    Mark

6. November 18th, 2009 at 13:08 | #6

@Mark Chance Watching the tail end of the video again, I see this is “expected” behavior! Well, that’s good news in that nothing got hosed up. Thanks! Now to get it re-customized – and there may be Thesis licensing issues…

7. December 21st, 2009 at 06:26 | #7

Hi!
    Great tutorial!
    I was wondering if it is a way to have multiple blogs on the same dashboard, so that you choose which one of the blogs you want to post posts and pages to. I tried WPMU but I’m a bit afraid to use it, because of lack of skills. And the fact that I don’t want more than 3-4 blogs.

Do you know of any plugins or how to do so?

Thanks in advance!

8. December 21st, 2009 at 10:03 | #8

@Anders: I haven’t used wp-hive, but that may be what you are looking for. http://wp-hive.com/

9. January 14th, 2010 at 10:05 | #9

Hi there, using your “copy” method here to create multiple blogs on one site / DB. are there now discrete different RSS feeds or do all of the blogs combine into the original Feed? THX JR

10. January 15th, 2010 at 14:48 | #10

@JohnR: They are different blogs with different db tables, so they have their own different RSS feeds.

11. Kelley
    February 2nd, 2010 at 01:48 | #11

Hi figaro
    I watch many of your videos and use them on my site! I do have a question about Multiple WordPress blogs and one data base. Is this a good thing to do, will it cause a slow down on my site? And if I do this, can I make the main site a break-off and change the main site? Does this make sense? lol
    So say I have a site on cooking. The main page {right now} was casseroles. Can I transfer the casseroles {main site} to a break off, including all it’s posts, to public_html/casseroles? (I hope you understand this}

12. February 2nd, 2010 at 07:43 | #12

@Kelly: No, it won’t have any more of an impact than separate blogs using separate dbs. When you do this you have completely separate blogs…they are not tied together in anyway just because they are using the same db. You could make casseroles a separate blog.

13. Kelley
    February 2nd, 2010 at 15:51 | #13

Hi Figaro! Thank you!

14. February 11th, 2010 at 09:55 | #14

Can you explain how this works with the URL though? If I want to have a different url… so one blog is howtocook.com and the other blog is takecareofyourpet.com

does this method in your video work?

15. February 11th, 2010 at 21:43 | #15

@Susan Weinschenk: It does work, but you would need to have the domains and set-up add-on domains with your host. A host like Bluehost allows unlimited add-on domains, so it’s quite easy to set-up separate websites (blogs) with unique url’s on a single account.

16. August 19th, 2010 at 17:38 | #16

THANK YOU thank you thank you! I’ve been hunting high and low for easy to follow instructions on how to do this (for someone that is definitely NOT a tech geek) and you saved me! Your video was so easy to follow and got me all set up in no time. I’ll definitely be bookmarking your blog for future techy support needs 😉

17. TJLascek
    September 29th, 2011 at 18:23 | #17

I am setting up a WordPress site for a school and found your tutorial. It looks like a great way to meet the objectives of what the school wants. Specifically, allowing each grade to have their own “blog” (site) with their own login.

I just had a couple follow up questions after watching your video:

1. Can you confirm my summary above? Will this allow for separate logins for each grade/blog?

2. What will the url look like once this is live on a hosting site? What I would prefer is “http://www.schoolname.com/grade1” and “http://www.schoolname.com/grade2” etc. for the grades. The main school web site would be “http://www.schoolname.com” Will this work using your method?

Thanks for your time and for putting this together for everyone.

18. October 3rd, 2011 at 09:48 | #18

Yes, it allows for separate logins and yes, it will work just the way you want.

19. November 11th, 2011 at 10:32 | #19

We are a small farm/woodworking business with a single website. My wife has HER “Farm News” blog and does not want me interjecting any “Words from the Woodshop.” Thank you so much for your video — I’m pretty sure you have solved my problem!

Question: Once I have finished the “installation / creation” of the second blog on the website and in the mySQL database, HOW do I deal with the periodic WP version updates. Will I be safe in letting WP do the auto thing or am I forever stuck with re-installing all the wp files via FTP?

20. November 11th, 2011 at 11:26 | #20

Yes, you will be safe doing auto-upgrade.

21. November 15th, 2011 at 11:54 | #21

@figaro
    I am copying over a second set WP files into a new subdir on my test site as I type this.

QUESTION: How much of the 1st/primary/main site’s “backend” am I safe in deleting from the 2nd install? I’m assuming I can delete a lot of plugins — the 2nd install won’t need its own ecommerce setup for sure. …etc.

As mentioned in previous post/comment, my goal with the 2nd install is to have my own blog “alongside” my wife’s blog. I had tried the “trick” of having a specific category for my blogposts and then excluding that category from her blog, but it turns out I need more control of my blog’s multiple excerpt and single post pages.

QUESTION: How will I create a menu “button” on the “primary” site’s header menu linking to me blog on the subdir instance of WP?

Thank you! I’m headed over to donate. Your video remains AWESOME! 🙂

22. November 17th, 2011 at 15:14 | #22

The second install is independent of the first, so delete anything you don’t need in that install.

Search the WordPress plugins–lots of good ones out there that can make this very easy.

23. December 27th, 2011 at 06:07 | #23

Thanks for a well-done video tutorial! Now i have an issue though…i set up the second blog but can’t login to admin–(where i usually use http://jaebaeli.com/blog/wp-admin) there are no menus above, like “add new ” or “dashboard” on my home screen. Is there supposed to be a separate login for that second blog? if so, how do I set that up?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jae

24. December 27th, 2011 at 15:33 | #24

You don’t have to set it up…if you did everything properly it should be there.

25. December 27th, 2011 at 19:58 | #25

Okay– maybe i missed something. Will go over it again. Thanks!

26. March 18th, 2012 at 14:48 | #26

Hi Steve,

A lovely tutorial. Thanks for the info, really loved it.
    Should solve my purpose.

Had one more requirement if you could help me on this:
    I have one existing blog, and want another link for the new blog as a page on my first blog.

Can you please suggest how to do that?? All I can think of now, is creating a second blog and redirecting to it from my new page in the first blog. But, what will happen if I click on “Home” link on my second blog? Will that bring me back to the home page of my first blog??

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again for such a nice video.

Regards,
    Yogi.

27. March 20th, 2012 at 11:18 | #27

I would just create a link to it using a custom menu…just click on “Appearance/Menus” and create one.

28. Researcher
    April 5th, 2012 at 09:08 | #28

Fantastic video and instructions. I also have MU and it is interesting to see other methods.

But…I have a holy grail questions. Everyone says this is impossible but I do continue to search.

Now, is it possible to have on the DEFAULT SITE, tabs with these blogs.

For example.

HOME BLOG BLOG 2 STEVE

So every tab is a separeate blog but they are all integrated inside one site.
    I am not talking here about linking from the tab to another blog/site but a tab that has inside blog-content and everything sames on the one site/tabs.

It is a holy grail question of many users over the internet.

Best regards.

29. June 6th, 2012 at 17:29 | #29

This is a great tutorial.
    I completed it in almost no time.

My question is this. I want to let visitors of my site provide their subfolder name preference in a form field and press a button to have the site copied, renamed and the config file edited as well. In other words i want to automate the steps of your tutorial.

Is that possible?
    Thanks for the great work.

30. July 31st, 2012 at 16:07 | #30

Hi Figaro! Thanks for the tutorial. I’m copying my files now (I don’t have a public html folder but I’m thinking it’s the main folder?) and it seems like I’m just going to be copying my entire wordpress site… any ideas on how to do just the blog page? Or when you labeled your folder “Blog” was that YOUR entire site? THANKS!! Just wanted a bit of reassurance before I move forward!

31. August 2nd, 2012 at 13:15 | #31

Yep…public_html, main, root…whatever your web directory is called. You can’t do just a blog page…you do copy the entire wordpress site…if you follow the directions in the video you will end up with a new, empty blog to work with.

32. November 23rd, 2012 at 04:50 | #32

Hello!
    Thank You!

I recently set up an electronics business, and understanding what is required to make copies of my main site in different EU languages seemed overwhelming until I found your tutorial. I used your advice to make dB ready for my site’s Finnish copy, and everything went smoothly. I think your video is clear and concise + I appreaciate your work very much!

best esa

33. Nathaniel
    April 5th, 2013 at 09:15 | #33

Hi i have a question is there any way i can connect all the blogs together on a sort of “home” page? Im trying to redo my schools graphic arts page and the teacher wants a home page and a different blog for each class level and have the accessible via links, is this possible?

34. April 5th, 2013 at 09:38 | #34

Just add the url to each blog as a link…do that one each blog and then display those links in your sidebar or wherever you want them displayed.

35. April 6th, 2013 at 19:20 | #35

This is just a note to say THANKYOU!
    I have been scratching my head about how best to do this as I want to create a kind of News/Satire section on my site, but it doesn’t really “fit” with the main blog thing.

This is an excellent site. Thanks again.

36. April 11th, 2013 at 15:42 | #36

Hi thanks for this post.

I followed your video.. and copied the blog – which is one of a number of domains on one hosted account all under public html on hostgator. Just one main problem during the process once I copied it over my main site went down and gave me a 500 internal area. this is the blog I copied ? Please help me get the site up again.

Thanks

Warren

37. April 11th, 2013 at 16:09 | #37

Hi Again,

I managed to get my main site up and running again.
    I have done all the steps only problem is when I type in the new url extension is doesn’t take me to wordpress but rather gives me 404 error – for blog2 ? i have named the new blog blog2 and changed the config file to blog2?

Is there something i am missing ? could it be my theme or the fact that i have WP3.5 ?

Thanks for your help

Warren

38. April 11th, 2013 at 17:51 | #38

Looks like you got it working.

39. April 17th, 2013 at 00:10 | #39

Great tutorial. I have a question. In the example in the video, if we want to represent each of the blogs as a dropdown menu(a hyperlink) from the Main page( let’s call it the home page). How should it be done?

To rephrase it, how can the different blogs be represented as different tabs or drop down menu from a single home page.Eg. Let’s us name different blogs as different niches. And each niche name represented as a tab or drop down menu in the home page. The user can click on any niche name from the dropdown he likes and he is taken to that niche blogsite.

40. May 31st, 2013 at 14:26 | #40

Hi Figaro,

Thanks for the great tutorial. I have the same issue as Warren. When I access http://www.atdesignandillustration.com/illustration-blog/ it provides the 404 error. Any clues to what I should do next?

41. Michael
    August 13th, 2013 at 04:29 | #41

NOTE: Relevant information starts at 4:20
    If you just want to get going on you new blog skip to this point.

Thanks for the help.

42. September 24th, 2013 at 06:52 | #42

Hello there,

I have completed the steps as above (apart from the fact that my initial files weren’t in one discrete folder, like your ‘blog’ file). But when I try and access the ‘new’ site, it says:-
    “Already Installed
    You appear to have already installed WordPress. To reinstall please clear your old database tables first.”
    What should I be doing??

43. October 4th, 2013 at 05:10 | #43

Hi Figaro,

Thank you for the video. I also get the 404 error. Do these steps still work for the current version of WP? If so, what should I do to fix the error? Thanks.

44. Ben
    October 18th, 2013 at 02:53 | #44

I don’t want people to have to type in a different url to get to my 2nd blog. What Want two tabs on my website. One tab is blog 1 and the other tab is blog 2. Each with a comment and archive. So it’s on the same site it’s just located on different tabs. My tabs would look like Home/About/Blog 1/Blog 2. Thanks!

45. January 31st, 2014 at 23:16 | #45

Howdy Figaro.
    I am pretty new to working with blogs to set up a website. I have created a band website (music), and while the front page is a static page, I do have a blog page. I thought that I might create a 2nd blog page for the band bio, so that I’d have a “front” bio page with summary bios of the band and each musician, but that all of those bios, which are quite a bit longer, would be separate posts. I could use the “more” tag in each post to determine exactly how much of the post was on the front page as the summary. Does this seem like a reasonable idea?

Also, the site I am working on is a sub-domain of another site, and in the sub-domain’s folder, I have wordpress installed at the top level, as opposed to in a separate folder. In your video, you have an example with wordpress installed in its own folder, and you just copy it to another folder at that same level. I’m guessing that I’ll have a problem with my wordpress installation being at the top level, because if I were to copy that top-level folder, it would have more than my wordpress installation in it, and if I copied it to a folder at the same level, it would be outside of my sub-domain’s folder. Can you suggest a course of action?

Great video, by the way. You make it easy to understand!
    Thanks, Cort

46. dje
    February 3rd, 2014 at 11:40 | #46

Hi – this worked like a dream on our sandbox (local webserver) – we were able to replicate multiple times, with absolutely no issues. Followed the steps to set it up on our live site, and ran into a 404 and permission denied to install.php error that we could not resolve. This seems to be a subtheme here. Any ideas of where to go to get the answers to resolve that issue? THis technique provides exactly what we are looking for (as soon as we can get the install.php error to resolve, that is!)

47. April 16th, 2014 at 05:34 | #47

Hello,my blog page is my homepage.So how should i find my blog folder in my file folders

48. January 8th, 2015 at 11:12 | #48

My publichtml folder is arranged a bit differently then yours, not sure if it’s the newer version of WP that I have or what. So I copied the entire public html folder, moved it in to it’s own folder within Publihtml, gave it a name in place of your “steve” and I changed the prefix to the blog name as well. But when I go to the new blog url I get a 404 error and I’m not asked for information or to install wordpress like you were. What am I missing?

49. April 28th, 2015 at 23:37 | #49

You are amazing! That was so easy to follow and worked like a charm! Thank you! This opens up so many possibilities for me 🙂

50. Keith
    June 6th, 2015 at 17:47 | #50

Hi — Thanks for this video. Can you tell me, please, if this method will still work, six years on? It’s a really neat trick, which should do just what I want, but I’m hesitant to try it in case it’s not compatible with the current version of WP.

Comment pages